- Is it mandatory to register for an IP2SG eServices account ("Account")?
No. The electronic filing system has been revamped. There are two online portals
- the public portal and the customer portal. The public portal can be accessed without
having to register or log in. The customer portal requires users to register first
and after that, to log in so as to access the portal.
- What are the benefits of registering for an Account?
Registering for an Account gives access to the customer portal, which has more functions
than the public portal. For example, in the customer portal, a user will be able
to track filing and payment details, and be able to send and receive correspondence
via the Correspondence Module (eCommunications).
- Who is eligible to register for an Account?
Anyone or any company can register for an Account. A Singapore address for service
and a valid SingPass is needed to register for and to use an Account. There needs
to be at least 1 user designated as an Administrator, duly authorised to manage
and transact under the Account. Others, designated as Users, can be authorised to
transact under the Account
- Is there an Account registration fee?
No. Registration is free.
- How do I register for an Account?
Registration can be done online here or
manually. To register for an Account online, the business or body corporate
must also have a valid Unique Entity Number ("UEN"). For the registration of individuals,
and registration of businesses or bodies corporate without a valid UEN, please manually
submit the registration form, which is available
here to IPOS. IPOS will issue an entity code for Account registration.
- When will my Account be activated?
For self-service online registration, your Account will be immediately activated
on successful registration. For manual registration, 3 to 5 working days are required
for an Account to be activated.
- Is a Netrust Certificate required for Account registration?
- What type of Patents Forms can be filed on IP2SG?
Details on the Patents Forms available at IP2SG may be found on the IP2SG
- Should I make a paper copy submission after filing it electronically with IP2SG?
No. Duplicate submissions on paper are not necessary. Doing so may cause confusion
and delay the processing of your matter.
- What if the file size of my submission (e.g. of the patent specifications) exceeds
the 100-megabyte (100MB) limit?
In the event that the 100MB file size limit is exceeded:
- For Patents Forms 1, 12, 13, 14, 17, 37, 56 and Form CM4, the applicant can proceed
to submit the electronic form online and follow up by submitting the document attachments
via portable media.
For other forms, the applicant can request the Registrar in writing to allow the
hardcopy form and documents to be submitted with the assistance of the service bureau
with a waiver of the service bureau fees.
- When can I file my patent application online?
IPOS will accept online filings 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, subject to availability
of the server, which will be under maintenance from time to time.
- Do I need to file a cover letter with my electronic submission?
A cover letter is not mandatory for electronic submissions. However, should you
wish to provide us with additional information, a cover letter can be optionally
attached to electronic submissions.
- How will I know that IPOS has received my electronic form submission?
An online "Acknowledgment and Receipt" page will be generated and displayed after
every submission. Applicants can print this page for record purposes. At the same
time, an "Email Online Receipt", which is a summary of the completed transaction,
is sent to the user via email. The technology involved in checking the completeness
and integrity of your transmission is part of the standard protocols used for online
- How will I know that IPOS has received my payment?
After payment is made, a receipt page will be generated and displayed. Applicants
can print this page for record purposes.
- How is the lodgement date accorded for an online submission?
- Where the Patents Forms and documents are submitted online, the lodgement date of
the submissions is the day the electronic filing is completely and successfully
received at IPOS, as shown on the "Acknowledgement and Receipt" page.
Where the Patents Form and documents are sent on portable media, the lodgement date
of the submission is the date the portable media is received by IPOS. Payment of
the filing fee alone will not be sufficient to secure a filing date. Both the filing
fee and the portable media containing the documents comprising the submission must
be received by IPOS in order to secure a filing date.
- What is the Online Save Feature for Patents Forms?
This feature is available for all Patents Forms. It allows you to save the details
which you have keyed into the online Patents Forms on our server for a maximum of
30 days. You must complete the submission or resave the details before the end of
the 30 days, or the details will be deleted. There is no limit on the number of
electronic Patents Forms that each user can save.
- Why are the addresses of applicants not auto-populated when applicants are selected
from an applicant dropdown list?
In such cases, please manually enter the applicant's address first. Subsequently,
when this same applicant is added again (i.e. with the same name and UEN/ Applicant
Code), the applicant's address will be auto-populated by the system.
Kindly note that IPOS is not able to guarantee the accuracy of the search
results. Please view the full terms, conditions and disclaimers of use on the IP2SG
- What types of searches are available on IP2SG?
- Simple Search.
- Advanced Search.
- Abstract & Specification Search.
The whole list of searchable criteria can be found in the search interface
- What information is available in the Patent Register?
The Patent Register contains basic bibliographic information, status information
(e.g. events which have occurred) and renewal details. For applications filed after
the commencement of the new legislation on 14 February 2014, entries on the register
would be made only when the applications are published (i.e. when abstract published
and the file is open for public inspection).
- What is a Patent Specification?
Specification refers to the description, claims and drawings (if any) of the invention.
An applicant is required to make full disclosure of his invention in the application
(i.e. what it is and how it works). Specifications are only available for published
applications and patents (i.e. open for public inspection), and would not be available
for patent applications which are not published. Specifications would only be available
after the data is converted and uploaded. The data availability will be specified
on the website.
- Is information on patents filed outside Singapore available on the IP2SG
No. The IP2SG database only contains information on Singapore patent
applications and patents.
- How can I find out more about patent applications and patent-related procedures?
Please visit the IPOS website for more information. Alternatively, you may submit
your enquiry here.
- How long will it take for the IP2SG database to be updated with information
from online submissions?
The IP2SG database will be updated with this information on the same
day the online submissions are successfully made.
- Do I need to be a registered user to perform patent searches and/or download
published patent information?
No. You do not have to be a registered user to access these services. Use of the
search engine and the downloading of published patent information (i.e. published
patent specifications and patent register and renewal details) are also free services.
- Is it possible to obtain the specification of a particular patent before it is
You may submit Form CM10 to IPOS to request for a copy of the specification or a
Patents Form 44 to request for information on a particular application. Please note
that if you file a paper copy of the form, the Service Bureau charges will apply.
Alternatively, you may file the forms online as a registered user.
- What is the correspondence module?
The correspondence module is the part of the customer portal that handles correspondence.
This module will be used to send and receive correspondence to and from IPOS electronically.
It will replace sending and receiving of correspondence to and from IPOS via fax
and/or post. Only IP2SG account holders will have access to this module.
- What is the disk space allocated for the correspondence module?
20GB of disk space is allocated to the correspondence module of each IP2SG
account. All users under one IP2SG account will have a combined disk
space of 20GB. If more space is needed, please contact IPOS.
- Will the archive folder take up disk space?
Yes, the archive folder will take up disk space. It is advisable to do regular housekeeping
to free up disk space.
- Can we retrieve correspondence that are deleted?
No, it is not possible to retrieve correspondence that are deleted. There is a system
check that correspondence has been downloaded before the system allows the user
to delete correspondence. Please ensure that you have also created a back-up of
the downloaded correspondence.
- What are the roles that can be allocated to the users of the correspondence module?
Depending on the responsibilities of the users, different roles can be assigned
to them. The following are the roles available for users of the correspondence module.
- Send Correspondence - The user can reply to correspondence and send ad-hoc correspondence.
- Download Correspondence - The user can download correspondence.
- Move Correspondence - The user can move correspondence from one folder to another.
- Assign Correspondence - The user can assign correspondence from one user to another.
- Archive Correspondence - The user can route correspondence from other folders to
the archive folder.
- Delete Correspondence - The user can delete correspondence from the correspondence
- Correspondence Admin - The user is able to perform all the above functions. In addition
to the above, the user also has access to the "Manage Correspondence" function which
allows him to :
- change settings related to the correspondence module;
- create folders; and
access the correspondence audit trail.
- What are the recommended minimum roles that need to be assigned to a user who
will regularly send and receive correspondence?
The following are the roles:
- Send Correspondence.
- Download Correspondence.
- Is there a limit to the number of folders that can be created?
100 folders can be created per IP2SG account.
- Will there be a list of correspondence sent to and received from IPOS?
A summary of the correspondence that a user sent to and received from IPOS will
be sent by email to the user's email address at the end of the day. The
email address is a mandatory field in the user's account details. This end-of-day
correspondence summary email is outside the customer portal.
- What happens to the correspondence when a user leaves a firm?
All the correspondence can be assigned to another user. Please note that a user
account can be terminated only after all correspondence have been reassigned to
- What happens to a user's draft correspondence when he or she is on leave?
The draft can be assigned to another user. Correspondence Admin will be able to
view drafts created by users and assign the drafts to other users.
- Is "message" a mandatory field while drafting a correspondence?
It is mandatory to enter a message only if there are no attachments.
- How do we mass delete correspondence?
Users who are assigned the "Delete Correspondence" role can mass delete correspondence.
Correspondence can be deleted only if they have been downloaded. correspondence
that are downloaded will have this icon ->
under the status. Users who are not assigned the "Delete Correspondence"
role should move correspondence that need to be deleted to a designated folder.
It is recommended to assign the "Move Correspondence" role to users who will regularly
use the correspondence module. The correspondence can then be assigned to a user
who is assigned the "Delete Correspondence" role for deletion. Please note that
for any correspondence that has been assigned to another user for deletion, the
correspondence needs to be downloaded before it can be deleted.